- I vow always to withhold judgment on whatever I hear or read until I’ve checked other versions of the same narrative.
- As much as possible, I will dwell in the present moment with patience and a grateful heart. In spite of the circumstances, each morning I will write down five things for which I am grateful.
- I shall turn a deaf ear to gossip and resist the temptation to contribute to the cacophony of crass, gratuitous, and/or unfavorable remarks about other people.
- I will do something every day that challenges my comfort zone. That way my fears will shrink and my courage will grow.
- Unless I have executed one already, I promise to complete or update my health care power of attorney and ensure that my children and spouse are aware of my final wishes. Further, I guarantee that my family members will know who my health care proxy is.
- I shall make certain there exists ‘information equity’ among my children so that none of them are in the dark about any life threatening medical issues I may experience.
- I declare that I shall respect the dignity of elders in my family and community and not patronize them at the expense of their self-respect. To that end I shall listen to my parents’ or grandparents’ concerns about losing their independence and self-worth.
- As an older adult I pledge to investigate all available local resources that will enable me to age with dignity and safety. To that end I affirm that I will listen to my adult children’s concerns about my security and well being.
- I will be slow to take offense and quick to forgive.
- I will tell and show my parents, children, siblings, and friends that I love them.
Beyond Dispute Associates
Beyond Dispute Associates
© Carolyn Parr and Beyond Dispute Associates, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Carolyn Parr and Beyond Dispute Associates with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
© Sig Cohen and Beyond Dispute Associates, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sig Cohen and Beyond Dispute Associates with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
[…] Click here to read Carolyn Parr's full article… […]